Friday, January 14, 2011

Mom's Don't Quit

My youngest is performing in his high school's musical this weekend. He is playing the role of Howard Cunningham in "Happy Days". In one scene the Cunningham family is looking for Marion. One of the questions asked is maybe she quit, to which Howard responds, "Mom's don't quit." I'm at the point where I still have a teen at home for a few years and each day I realize that I'm not needed as much as I was the day before. Mothering is one of the few jobs that by the time you're a pro, you're given your 'walking papers'.

Getting to see my children grow has been the greatest joy of my life. Each trial, each triumph is a thread woven into a mother's heart. Today is a triumph. This is the child that hates to write, likes to believe he doesn't like being around other people, and can't seem to tie his shoes. He performed like a pro and is now hanging out with friends at the cast party. Soon I can see that I'll get my walking papers.

No, mom's don't quit, but if we do our jobs right we end up being retired...to grandmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment